Hello, lovely souls!
I’m Sarah. Life coach, writer and founder of Kindful Body & Mind.
I spent so long (in fact, most of my adult life!) at war with my body and my mind. Ever since I was a teenager, my inner mean girl was constantly telling me I was never good enough. I believed that my worthiness was based on my appearance, my weight and the size written on my clothing tags.
I hated my body.
I was forever finding ways that I could change it. Countless fad diets, pills, shakes and gym regimes. I began to restrict certain foods & even skip meals. For me exercising became strictly for weight loss, rather than for the pleasure & joy of moving my body.
I believed that my worth was based on the number on the scales.
Negative body image was contributing to my already poor mental health. As a teen, I was diagnosed with various mental illnesses, including anxiety & depression. Food became a way for me to cope with my feelings, emotions & past trauma. This continued for several years until I was finally diagnosed with having an eating disorder.
Looking back now, it was the best thing that has happened to me.
My diagnosis meant it was finally time to deal with my body image struggles head-on. With the help of my mental health care team, regular therapy and self-care strategies, I was able to manage my symptoms & begin my journey to body acceptance.
Although self-love can be scary, messy and sometimes hard work, it is so bloody worth it! We only have one life so it is so incredibly important that we take care of our bodies, our minds and our souls now, not later.
I know I’m not alone in the way I used to feel about my body. That is why I have created Kindful Body & Mind – I believe it is now my gift to you to share these tools that have changed my own life.
I strongly believe in the Health At Every Size (HAES) philosophy & welcome clients of all body shapes and sizes, backgrounds, gender identities and abilities. I value & celebrate diversity & I aim to make Kindful Body & Mind as inclusive as possible.
I believe in kindness, compassion & freedom from societal beliefs about bodies & beauty.
In addition to my coaching services, I work alongside SANE Australia as a Peer Ambassador, sharing my story of lived experience with complex mental illness. I am passionate about raising awareness, encouraging early help-seeking and sharing my message of recovery and hope. It is important to me that I use my own experiences with mental illness to inspire other people and continue to advocate for better mental health services.
I also volunteer as a MyRoad mentor for Beacon Foundation, which is an online mentoring program that connects female students from around Australia to industry mentors. I am incredibly passionate about giving back to the community, so to have the opportunity to inspire & empower young women by helping them prepare for their careers is such a privilege.
10 Facts About Me!
1. I live in Melbourne, Victoria (Australia) with my fiance & our 5 fur-children Simba, Huey and Joe (cats), Tofu and Chia (rabbits)
2. I am a self-confessed potato enthusiast. They are so versatile and absolutely freakin’ delicious!
3. I absolutely adore animals & am super passionate about animal welfare. It’s not unusual to find our house overrun by foster kittens!
4. I am a huge fan of 80’s music – the good stuff, think new wave. I’m also pretty decent at music trivia – challenge me, I dare you!
5. I love a good true crime doco!
6. I can touch my nose with my tongue.
7. I love books! If you ever need/want to buy me a gift… wink, wink!
8. When I was in high school, I really wanted to be a radio presenter. I did my work experience at a radio station but didn’t get into the media course I applied for. Instead, I studied one year of Music Industry management.
9. Along with cats and bunnies, sheep are my next favourite animal. I even have a ‘Mary Had A Little Lamb’ inspired tattoo.
10. If I could have any job in the world (aside from coaching), I would be a meteorologist. I studied Science for 2 years but maths is hard! Like real hard…